28 August 2011

DIAGRAMMING

Narration:
I have been to the Weatherspoon Art Museum many times because I had a class in the auditorium that was housed there.  I never took the opportunity to explore the museum or try to understand what it was all about until recently.  The way I entered the building was altered because I came in through the "back", and this allowed me to experience the museum in a completely different way.

Walking in from the parking lot, one is greeted by a set of iron gates that are beautifully industrious.  Continuing forward, the sculpture garden easily comes into sight and each direction offers something new to look at.  It was quite successful implementing this garden in as part of the "back" entrance because it truly heightens the overall experience.  Depending on how one looks at it, it may be unfortunate (or fortunate) that the garden outshines the lobby of the museum; once I was in the building, I was somewhat bored and wanted to go back out to the garden.


The lobby doesn't offer a good look at what the rest of the museum has to offer.  The interior has a cold kind of feeling that isn't all that inviting.  The life of the museum exists upstairs, but the lobby doesn't pull someone in enough to make them go upstairs to see what else is left.



First draft of Weatherspoon diagram.



Second draft of diagram; figuring out layout.


Final draft of plan; color discovery.