03 April 2011

DINING: FINAL PHASE

Finally, all of our ideas had to come together to create one big proposal. I stuck with my original idea of keeping the overall design modern and simple to ensure that the meal was about those eating, and not about the room that held them. There were a few things that I had to add to give the room a more distinct personality, and to actually conquer the social media aspect that under-layed the project.

I added a series of three wall indentations, made of brick, on the east wall to echo the three windows on the west wall. This added a different kind of texture to the wall on top of the brick that gave the room a little more spice than it had before.

I struggled for most of the project trying to decide where to put my social media. I wasn't fond of the idea of a screen coming down a wall, or up in the middle of a table, so I was completely lost. During one critique, one of the girls mentioned having mirrors on the walls that doubled as a screen for social media. I liked this idea, so I ended up adding a large screen, along with two smaller screens, on the south wall. At a first glance, they would just be electronic picture frames until social media needed to be pulled in, at which the middle, large screen would be used.


The one-point perspective (top) shows someone standing at the east wall, looking west. This captured what the room looked like most successfully because the modern table and chairs could be seen, along with the social media screen and windows. The floor plan shows how the furniture truly fits into the space.



Again, going on with the modern scheme, the side board (right) used had right angles and hard edges. The top piece is a frosted glass to match the handles, and the overall wood used is a dark chocolate.


The axonometric view (left) shows the entire space successfully because the interesting texture and cuts on the east wall are now seen along with everything else seen in the one-point perspective. This view goes on to show the openness of the room and how the table fits into it. The two section cuts (right) show the south (top) and west (bottom) walls. I wanted to showed off the south wall due to the social media, and I felt the east wall needed to be cut to see how the side board fit into place.


The top/front/side view of the dining room table complements the side board with the right angels and hard edges. I was originally inspired by a table that would allow the smaller section to be pushed in between the larger section of the table surface, but quickly found out that would not work. I then went on to create a table that had a leaf that could be put in when needed. I wanted the table to never be too big for any amount of persons, so this leaf would allow extra space when needed, but keep the table intimate when not being used.


The model was made to merely show what the space looked like and how the east and west walls complimented each other.