25 April 2011

BP XIV

Object: 2010 Chevy Camaro
I feel like I differ from other girls my age because I have a guilty pleasure for cars, and the Camaro is by far my favorite car right now. I've always had a thing for sports cars, but I feel that the Camaro takes the idea of a sports car to a new level because it is a "big" sports car; most others tend to be masculinely dainty. Anytime I see this car, my jaw literally drops because it astounds me that much. This car would be an awesome example of automotive architecture because of it's sleek, yet pompous design. At some point, I would love to own one of these cars and be able to experience more than just that aesthetic exterior.


Space: Thorncrown Chapel, Eureka Springs, Arkansas
This chapel was built by E. Fay Jones completely out of wood. It is set in the woods of Arkansas to truly embrace the true nature of the environment. I have been going to a Baptist church with my mom since I was very little, and we have recently converted to the more contemporary, Non-Denominational branch of Christianity. I appreciate that although this chapel is very natural indeed, I feel that it does a magnificent job mixing in some modern design as well. I think the designer successfully recreated the arches in a very modular way to ensure that nothing was being taken away from an original chapel design. This is another space I would very much like to visit one day.


Building: Le Chateau Fontainebleau, Loire Valley, France 
This has become one of my favorite buildings after briefly learning about it this semester. This mansion is a good representation of classical design, as well as the broken rules of the very same fashion. From the image, it is clear that it is not symmetrical, but more like two halves of two different things were put together to create something beautiful. The rules are really broken with the squiggly stairs that hug the mid-section of the exterior, being nothing but obvious. Not only is this chateau pretty enormous, but the garden that is part of it's overall scheme is also very extensive. I plan to travel to France just to see this house and be able to experience more than just a photograph. 


Place: Virginia Beach, Virginia
This beach is one of my all time favorite places to be at, and I'm not even a fan of the beach! While approaching the overall atmosphere of Virginia beach, including the town embracing it, I just feel happy. The board walk that lines the entire beach is filled with hotels that each have their own personality. These hotels, and the boardwalk, face the beach where life is found all over the place. People are playing volleyball, swimming, building sandcastles, etc. A block over from the beach and beautiful board walk are all the beach shops, restaurants, and bars. Although the beach shops all begin to resemble each other after a certain point, I still find myself going into each one of them and looking around. Walking down the streets, people are just simply happy and having a good time.