27 February 2011

BP VII

I chose the fountain for my happy place. Although it may not be in the center of campus, I still consider this the heart of UNCG. It's aesthetically pleasing, but it's so simple and nonchalant; it's just a water fountain, right? Wrong. This is a space where many can be entertained, relax, chat, and do homework. This is one of many spaces where nothing can ever be truly added to please a certain someone; it's close to perfect in it's simplicity. This is one of the many places on campus where students can come together and be "one" group of people without even noticing it.




I chose the recreational center as my happy place. I enjoy working out when I have the time and it allows me to clear my mind. The rec is a busy place most of the time, so it would seem as though it would be crowded and cause a little bit of anxiety, but it doesn't. I pop in my ear buds and start working out to the current song and the rest of the world disappears. I can do my thing and other people can do theirs, and it's all done in one place; in unity and harmony. de Botton mentions: "We are sometimes eager to celebrate the influence of our surroundings" (13). The rec is a perfect place for this because each person who enters the rec unknowingly is influenced by all those around them; all those who are working hard motivates most to want to work equally as hard, and once we're done, we just want to celebrate that we accomplished what we did.